- CBS 11’s television feature on Mr. Dunn as one of Dallas’ best trial attorneys
AREAS OF EXPERIENCE
- Personal Injury and Insurance Litigation
- Civil Trial Law
- Labor & Employment Law
- Texas Board of Legal Specialization
FOX4 NEWS INTERVIEW
SKY RADIO INTERVIEW
- Hear Mr. Dunn’s interview regarding Shareholder Oppression and Partnership Litigation
- Mr. Dunn’s commentary on significant legal issues
- Click here
FINANCIAL ADVISORS REPRESENTED
- See Mr. Dunn’s commentary on major legal issues
- Click here
PUBLICATIONS AND SPEECHES
- Mr. Dunn frequently conducts training seminars and gives speeches. He has written three books and more than 25 legal articles
- View a listing of his books, articles and speeches
HONORS AND AWARDS
- Rated as one of the top 100 attorneys in Texas, a Thomson Reuters service published in Texas Monthly, 2008
- Recognized as one of the Best Lawyers in Dallas by D Magazine 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009, 2003 to 2006
- Rated a top 100 attorney in Dallas/Fort Worth, a Thomson Reuters service published in Texas Monthly, 2011, 2010, 2009, 2008, 2006 and 2005
- Rated as one of the Best 93 Lawyers in Dallas who represents individuals by D Magazine 2009
- Honored as a Texas “Super Lawyer”, a Thomson Reuters service, published in Texas Monthly, every year 2003 to 2016
- Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America©, 2015, 2016 (Woodward White, Inc.), in the areas of Commercial Litigation and Employment Law Management
- Purveyor of the Year, Multi-Concept Outback Steakhouse, 2010, 2009, 2008, 2007, 2006 and 2005 Click here
- Member, Associate Board SMU Cox Business School 2015
- Life Fellow Texas Bar Foundation, 2006
- Purveyor of the Year, Outback Steakhouse, 2004
- Purveyor of the Year, Carrabba’s Italian Grill, 2004
- Board Certified: Civil Trial Advocacy National Board of Trial Advocacy, 2003
- Purveyor of the Year, Outback Steakhouse, 2002
- Purveyor of the Year, Carrabba’s Italian Grill, 2002
- Purveyor of the Year, Outback Steakhouse, 2001
- Life member, Million Dollar Advocates Forum, 1999
- AV Rating Received from Martindale Hubbell, 1996
- Distinguished Pro Bono Service Award, N. Tex. Legal Services, 1988
- Adjunct Professor, Southern Methodist University, MBA Program 1986-1998 2008 – Present
- J.D., cum laude, UT Law School, 1983
- Texas Law Review 1982-83
- Board of Advocates 1981-83
- B.A., cum laude, SMU, 1980 Departmental Distinction: English
- Law Clerk to Hon. Reynaldo Garza, U.S. Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals 1983-84
- Mr. Dunn was admitted to the Texas Bar in 1984 and was subsequently admitted to the United States Supreme Court, the United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit and all Federal district Courts in Texas, the Western District of Oklahoma, the Eastern and Western Districts of Missouri, the Eastern and Western Districts of Arkansas, and the District Court of Colorado.
- Texas Employment Law James Publishing
- Restaurant Law Reporter Eli Research
- Click here to view lawsuits Dunn handled that lead to reported legal rulings.
The Texas Connection
Rogge Dunn is a fifth generation Texan, born in Dallas. Mr. Dunn and his wife are active in charitable, political and civic causes.
Recognized Trial Expertise
Mr. Dunn was recognized as one of the top 100 attorneys in the entire State of Texas in 2008 by the Thomson Reuters service published in Texas Monthly. Mr. Dunn was further honored as one of the top 100 attorneys in Dallas/Fort Worth in 2005, 2006, 2008-2011 by the Thomson Reuters service published in Texas Monthly. Every year since 2003 through 2016 Mr. Dunn has also been designated a Texas “Super Lawyer”, a Thomson Reuters service published in Texas Monthly magazine. In 2003-2006 and 2009-2016, Mr. Dunn was recognized by D Magazine as one of the Best Lawyers in Dallas. he has also been recognized in The Best Lawyers in America©, 2015 and 2016 (Woodward White, Inc.), in the area of commercial Litigation and Employment Law-Management.
Dunn’s Cases Covered by the Media
News organizations have sought his opinion on legal issues, and reported on his cases including: The CBS Evening News,The Wall Street Journal, The New York Times, BBC Radio, Anderson Cooper 360, U.S. News & World Report, The NBC Today Show, CNN, CBS This Morning, Court TV Radio, USA Today, MSNBC, The National Law Journal and The Dallas Morning News. Click here
Mr. Dunn is one of only 50 attorneys in Texas who is Board Certified in both Civil Trial Law and in Labor and Employment Law. He has litigated complex business, employment, personal injury and insurance disputes throughout the country and tried cases to a jury verdict in four states. He has represented clients in disputes arising in Brazil, Canada, England, Mexico, The Netherlands, Scotland, Qatar and throughout the U.S.
Mr. Dunn represents corporations, executives, entrepreneurs, and individuals in a variety of complex matters involving business disputes, employment law, partnership issues, FINRA, arbitration, class actions, shareholder oppression, breach of contract, “business divorce,” non-competes, trade secrets, whistleblowing, and significant personal injuries.
Two of his closing arguments were recorded for the Million Dollar Arguments audiotape series.
While Dunn has handled numerous high-profile cases across the country that garnered national and international attention, he has discretely handled many more cases confidentially that are not listed on our website. Dunn recognizes that many clients need their matters resolved quickly, quietly and confidentially.
Dunn has helped a number of wealthy and successful individuals, executives and corporations in delicate or compromising situations that need a sophisticated and discrete touch. These include everything from assaults, regulatory issues, sexual assaults, secret videotaping, and illegitimate children. Clients who need an experienced and connected problem solver hire Dunn. We are experts at controlling the narrative and the external optics to protect our clients’ reputations.
Representation of High Profile Individuals
High profile, successful individuals turn to Dunn for advice, counsel and, if necessary, litigation. Dunn understands that high net worth individuals have pressing obligations, tight schedules and need someone to obtain a favorable resolution quickly, quietly and efficiently.
Dunn has represented ultra-high net worth individuals, Fortune 500 and Global 50 C-level executives, as well as General Counsels, private equity firms, NCAA coaches, athletic directors, NFL players, Major League Baseball coaches, managers of Olympic gold medal athletes, Judges, Presidents of Universities and national media personalities.
One of the highest testaments to Dunn’s abilities is the fact that Senior Partners in some of the largest U. S. law firms have hired Dunn to represent them. Dunn’s experience helping high profile personalities, investors, and private equity firms enables him to understand their particular needs and goals, relate to them and obtain the results they deserve.
Thinking and Operating “Outside the Box”
Dunn earned his spurs as a Senior Partner in a mega-firm with offices around the world. While huge firms are a good choice for many types of legal matters, they often lack the contingent fee flexibility, entrepreneurial spirit and nimble moves necessary to deliver a knockout blow quickly ‑ ‑ without the restraints inherent in a big firm. Big firms may view you as merely a one-time client as opposed to their regular corporate clients who make up the bulk of their business. Our firm’s size and efficiencies give us “special ops” flexibility and the creativity to operate outside the box and deploy strategies and tactics the other side never anticipated.
Paper Pushers Can Take You Only So Far
Choose your attorney carefully. Many attorneys are adept at pushing paper and negotiations, but seldom take cases all the way to a jury verdict. Ask the lawyer specifically how many times he or she has obtained a jury verdict. Dunn is Board Certified in Civil Trial Law and has taken cases all the way to jury verdicts and arbitration awards in seven states and eight Texas cities.
Hiring an experienced trial lawyer who flourishes in trials increases your settlement leverage. If the other side knows your lawyer can’t follow through and is bluffing, you will leave money on the table or overpay, if you are a defendant. When the other side knows they are negotiating against a seasoned trial attorney who is ready, willing and able to take a case all the way to a jury; and, has won numerous multi-million dollar verdicts, you maximize your settlement position, as either a plaintiff or defendant.
Is Your Case Too Small?
The majority of Dunn’s work involves high dollar, “bet the company/bet your reputation matters.” However, as he says, “I became a lawyer because I enjoy fighting for a good cause and protecting my clients’ rights. There is no greater privilege in my work than righting a wrong and slaying a Goliath.” Dunn’s success has given him the privilege and flexibility of accepting smaller matters, contingent fee representation and pro bono cases based on the principles and ethics in which Dunn and his Clients believe.
Dunn Understands Executives, Entrepreneurs and Business Owners
Successfully negotiating and litigating business disputes is not merely knowing how to negotiate or win at trial. It requires appreciating how businesses operate and executives think. It includes knowing how to work towards a win/win business solution.
Dunn teaches as an Adjunct Professor in the SMU Executive EMBA program. Dunn’s 20+ years of teaching, including listening to and exchanging business solutions with successful entrepreneurs, enables him to reach business solutions.
Fortune 500 companies have hired Rogge Dunn and his team to investigate sensitive corporate governance and other matters. Major law firms wanting to avoid potential disqualification as a witness issues have also hired Dunn to conduct investigations on their client’s behalf. One of Mr. Dunn’s investigations was cited by the U.S. Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals as a basis for the client obtaining a summary judgment. Sandstad v. CB Richard Ellis, 309 F.3d 893 (5th Cir. 2002)
Results for Clients
- Obtained TROs, injunctions and other equitable relief throughout the nation
- Successful defense of oil and gas company exercising preferential purchase rights involving O&G properties in New Mexico and Texas worth $1.5+ billion
- Successful defense of oil and gas partnership sued over ownership of 30,000 acre mineral lease involving Barnett Shale in West Texas worth an estimated $1 billion
- Successful defense of insurance carrier in $100 million commercial mold claim
- Negotiated removal of co-manager, loan payoff and extinguished management rights of minority members of healthcare company worth $50+ million
- Successful defense of Fortune 500 real estate company sued for $43 million over sale of Arkansas office park
- Won summary judgment in favor of inspection company sued for $38 million for alleged defective inspection of pressure vessels on offshore rigs and won $92,000 in attorneys’ fees against the Plaintiff
- Successful defense of law firm partner sued by former partner regarding dispute over a $13+ million fee
- Obtained summary dismissal in favor of Client, Texas Tech President Guy Bailey, in $12.5 million dollar lawsuit filed in Lubbock by former coach Mike Leach against Texas Tech University, Tech’s President, Chancellor and Regents – Link to Judge’s Ruling
- Won divorce trial enforcing Client’s $10.5 million marital property agreement
- $9.6 million settlement for insurance carrier in a commercial dispute with a flood zone determination company in Missouri (Client’s net, $7.1 million)
- Obtained summary judgment for Fortune 1000 company sued for $9 million by employees’ estates over a triple homicide in one of its East Texas stores
- $8.7 million settlement for recycling facility damaged by the negligence of a power company in New Mexico (Client’s net, $4.4 million)
- $8.3 million severance for Canadian citizen who resigned as CEO of Fortune 200 bottling group
- Obtained take nothing dismissal in favor of Fortune 500 executive sued in a glass ceiling class action lawsuit
- Ongoing defense of nationwide insurance carrier in 85 asbestos lawsuits filed by 2,500+ plaintiffs in Ohio and South Texas
- Obtained take nothing dismissal in favor of lending broker sued for $8 million for fraud, negligence and breach of contract involving a real estate development project
- Successful negotiation of commission interests for Fortune 500 commercial real estate brokerage firm involving $65 million Austin land sale
- Successful defense and dissolution of TROs obtained in Houston and Dallas against Fortune global 300 company for tortious interference with contract and employee raiding involving its hiring of numerous executives from competitor
- Successful defense of two nationwide restaurant chains sued in class action filed in Beaumont, Texas
- Successful defense of wrongful death lawsuit for drug manufacturer
- Successful defense of majority shareholder sued for shareholder oppression and breach of fiduciary duty by minority shareholder
- Successful defense of a top five executive in Fortune 10 company accused of breaking a non-compete and misappropriating trade secrets
- $6.5 million settlement for public utility damaged by negligent power interruption in Arizona
- $6.1 million severance package and negotiated succession plan for Chairman/CEO of a bank with more than $11 billion in assets
- $6 million settlement for Australian citizen who was COO of oil and gas company fired after a change in control
- Defense verdict in favor of Fortune 1000 company sued for $6 million under partnership agreement
- Ongoing representation regarding real estate issues and litigation for private equity real estate group with more than $1 billion in assets
- $4.9 million settlement for fired CEO who sued for disability discrimination
- Successful defense of multi-million dollar breach of partnership agreement lawsuit in Oklahoma
- $4.8 million settlement for owner of salt dome storage facility against operator for causing well blowout (Client’s net, $3.1 million)
- Advised and assisted City Council that fired its City Manager
- $4.5 million settlement for C-level executive of Scottish oil and gas company fired after a change in control
- $4.5 million retirement/consulting package for Senior Vice President of manufacturing company
- Successful defense of numerous discrimination and other employment claims filed in North Texas against Fortune global 6 company filed with Dept. of Labor
- Successful representation of Fortune 150 company in compelling numerous lawsuits to mandatory arbitration and winning matters compelled to arbitration
- $4.1 million severance package for President of an oil and gas company who exercised “good reason” termination after a change in control
- Successful representation of high profile Austin trial attorney during the dissolution of law firm partnership
- Obtained no cause dismissal of Sarbanes-Oxley complaint exonerating Fortune 150 company that executive had filed with Department of Labor
- $4 million settlement for President of an oil and gas company fired after a change in control
- Successful defense of company with 300 stores in Texas, New Mexico and Oklahoma in wage and hour enforcement action brought by Department of Labor
- Successful defense of home care nursing company sued for wrongful death
- Defense and favorable settlement for Fortune 500 company sued by multiple plaintiffs for wrongful death and serious injury at South Texas hunting camp
- $3.1 million settlement for President of an oil and gas company fired after a change in control
- Obtained take nothing arbitration award in Louisiana in favor of employer accused of wrongful discharge and OSHA retaliation
- $3.06 million settlement for construction defects in 40,000 square foot mansion (Client’s net $2.3 million)
- $2.8 million settlement for former Pizza Inn CEO, who was fired after proxy fight and who Pizza Inn had sued for $9.4 million (Client’s net $2 million)
- $2.6 million settlement for hospital in commercial arbitration regarding improper installation of electrical system (Client’s net $1.9 million)
- $2.6 million settlement for fired C-level executive of Fortune 100 beverage company
- $2.6 million for a fired C-level executive of a Fortune 200 homebuilding company
- $2.5 million settlement for minority shareholder alleging shareholder oppression (Client’s net $1.8 million)
- Won take nothing dismissal for insurance carrier sued for $2.5+ million on equipment breakdown insurance policy
- $2.395 million for minority shareholder in shareholder oppression lawsuit.
- $2.2 million settlement for Client suing designer and manufacturer of display that caused store fires in Florida and Massachusetts (Client’s net $1.6 million)
- Won take nothing arbitration ruling in favor of a Fortune 150 company accused of discrimination and retaliation and obtained $18,945 counter-claim judgment against the Plaintiff for repayment of unearned draws
- Won take nothing dismissal for insurance adjuster sued for $2 million on a commercial property loss involving Hurricane Ike
- Obtained $1.784 million good reason resignation payment for VP of Fortune 300 oil & gas company (Client’s net $1.781 million)
- $1.7 million in cash and real property for minority shareholder in a shareholder oppression lawsuit. (Client’s net $1.3 million)
- Successful resolution of lawsuit for a property insurance carrier sued by medical practice group for $1.5 million and insurance bad faith
- Defended Barron’s Top 100 Financial Advisor team sued in FINRA arb for $1.5+ million on promissory note. Settled the claim against clients for only $1,000
- $1.45 million severance package for executive with dairy company (Client’s net $1,428,000)
- $1.4 million settlement for construction defects in Missouri lake house (Client’s net $785,000)
- $1.375 million settlement for invasion of privacy (Client’s net, $880,000)
- Successful resolution of overtime claim by pumpers against oil and gas company in Midland
- $1.2 million settlement at trial for City of Beaumont suing for breach of contract and warranty involving industrial pumps (Client’s net $850,000)
- $1.2 million for Managing Director of a British petroleum company who exercised “good reason” termination after a change in control
- Successful negotiation of confidential trailing commission severance agreement for the top broker in the Staubach Company’s Austin office
- $1.2 million verdict for client suing for sexual harassment, sex discrimination and retaliation (Client’s net, $240,000)
- $1,135,00 settlement for minority partner for breach of fiduciary duty against $250 million private equity fund
- $1.1 million severance for fired Branch Manager of international investment bank with a market cap exceeding $30 billion
- $1.03 million settlement for Wall Street broker laid off by a New York wire house
- Won $1 million FINRA arbitration award for fired Los Angeles Barron’s top 100 Financial Advisor against Goldman Sachs (Client’s net $580,000)
- $1 million settlement in arbitration for fired executive (Client’s net $950,000)
- $925,000 settlement in FINRA arbitration for Barron’s Top 100 Financial Advisor fired by Wall Street firm (Client’s net $610,000)
- $800,000 settlement for client who contracted food poisoning at an Oklahoma restaurant (Client’s net $510,000)
Past achievements are no guarantee of future results. Results depend on the facts of each case. All results listed provide the client’s net recovery.
Some of Mr. Dunn’s clients include: Adecco, AIG, American College of Emergency Physicians, Auto One Acceptance, Bank of Texas, Beal Bank, Bonefish Grill, Carrabba’s Italian Grill, CB Richard Ellis, Champion Home Builders, Cheeseburger in Paradise, Cigna Healthcare of Texas, Cigna Insurance Companies, Cintas, COG Operating, Concho Equity Holding Corp., Criswell College, CVS Caremark, Data Return, Fuel Rewards Network, FM Global, Fleming’s Prime Steakhouse, Case Commercial Real Estate Partners, Hartford Steam Boiler Inspection and Insurance Company, HealthMarkets, Hoffbrau Steaks, Industrial Risk Insurers, Loving Care Agency, Massey-Fair Industrial, Inc., MLE, Inc., MMC Group, Perot Museum of Nature and Science, Onward Healthcare, Onyx M.D., Outback Steakhouse, Panda Energy, Peregrine Pipeline Co, ProShare Advisors, Puritan Financial, Roy’s Hawaiian Fusion Restaurant, Safeco Insurance, SEI Investments, Buck Showalter, Sonny Bryan’s Smokehouse, Southern Dock Products, St. Paul Travelers Insura ce Companies, Thackeray Partners, TNA Wrestling, Tractel Group, Triad Financial, and Unified Investigations and Sciences.
Mr. Dunn has represented numerous top executives of Fortune 500 companies, including the COO of Halliburton Energy Services and five divisional presidents of Dresser Industries in cases arising out of the Halliburton-Dresser merger.
He has represented four of Barron’s Top 100 Financial Advisors.
He has also represented bankers, brokers, physicians, venture capitalists, shareholders, partners, investors, agents and sales representatives, as well as founders of small to mid-cap companies.
His client representations span most industries including, investment banking, securities, entertainment, health care, technology, private equity, real estate and partnerships.
Mr. Dunn has negotiated favorable severance packages, employment contracts and partnership agreements. Both executives and companies have hired him to represent them in internal investigations and corporate governance and Sarbanes-Oxley matters.