AREAS OF EXPERIENCE
- Board Certified
- Labor and Employment Law
- Texas Board of Legal Specialization
- J.D., Tulane Law School, 1989 cum laude
- B.A., University of North Dakota 1986 cum laude
- State Bar of Texas 1989
State Bar of Minnesota 1991
- Admitted to practice before the United States District Courts for the Northern, Southern and Eastern Districts of Texas and the Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals.
- Mr. Clouse was born in Grand Forks, North Dakota, on June 14, 1964.
Keith Clouse is an employment law specialist with over 25 years of experience representing senior executives, business owners, physicians, and corporations in complex employment litigation, arbitration and negotiations. Senior executives, physicians and other professionals consistently rely on Mr. Clouse for employment law expertise and advice on employment contracts, covenants not to compete, severance agreements, equity awards, trade secret disputes, and breach of fiduciary duty claims.
Mr. Clouse does not sugar coat. He does not placate. And in the court room, he absolutely does not relent.
Mr. Clouse is known in business circles as the go-to guy for litigating and addressing employment issues for senior executives, physicians and business professionals. He also routinely drafts employment contracts and negotiates severance packages and agreements on behalf of senior-level and C-suite executives, and has successfully defended numerous discrimination, wrongful discharge, sexual harassment and breach of contract claims filed against corporate clients in state and federal courts on behalf of his corporate clients.
Mr. Clouse became board certified in labor and employment law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization in 1994. Presently, less than 1% of all Texas’ 98,000 licensed attorneys are board certified in labor and employment law.
In 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2015 and 2016, Mr. Clouse was recognized as a Texas “Super Lawyer” a Thomson Reuters service, published in Texas Monthly magazine. He was designated one of the top 100 Dallas/Fort Worth Super Lawyers in 2010, 2011, 2012, 2015 and 2016. In 2002, 2004, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015 and 2016, Mr. Clouse was also recognized by D Magazine as one of the Best Lawyers in Dallas, Texas. In 2015, D CEO recognized Mr. Clouse as a Dallas 500 Business Leader.
In 2007, Mr. Clouse was invited to join the panel of employment arbitrators with the American Arbitration Association (AAA), and he is regularly chosen to serve as an arbitrator is AAA employment cases.
Experience and Results
- In January 2017, Mr. Clouse successfully defended a request for injunctive relief against his senior-executive client in federal district court in Iowa.
- During October-November 2016, Mr. Clouse successfully defended multiple executives during a 7-week jury trial involving claims for breach of fiduciary duty, misappropriation of trade secrets and civil conspiracy—seeking more than $300 million in damages.
- In November 2015, Mr. Clouse successfully defended a senior-bank executive against claims seeking more than $20 million in damages. The plaintiff/company was awarded zero ($o) damages, and Mr. Clouse obtained an arbitration award for over $600,000 (net to client $400,000) on a counter-claim against the former employer.
- In August 2014, Mr. Clouse served as an arbitrator and presided over multiple employment arbitration cases pending with the American Arbitration Association (AAA).
- In May 2013, Mr. Clouse obtained a $1.1 million arbitration award (net to client $1.0 million).
- In November 2011, Mr. Clouse successfully defended a Dallas law firm in a retaliatory discharge lawsuit in federal district court.
- In May 2011, Mr. Clouse obtained a jury verdict and damage award on behalf of a Dallas physician in a breach of contract case.
- In April 2009, Mr. Clouse successfully defended a company in a two-week wrongful discharge jury trial in Texas state court.
- In January 2007, Mr. Clouse obtained a $1.2 million arbitration award in a breach of employment contract case before the AAA (net to client $900,000).
- In February 2004, Mr. Clouse obtained a “defense verdict” after a three-week jury trial in Dallas County District Court.
- In November 2001, Mr. Clouse obtained a $7.4 million jury verdict in a breach of contract and sex discrimination lawsuit (net to client: $5.8 million).