AREAS OF EXPERIENCE
- Civil Litigation focusing on copyright
- Business and commercial matters
- Copyright and trademark registrations
- Counseling companies and drafting contracts regarding intellectual property
- Internet law
- Election law
- Mr. Rothstein has received an AV® peer review rating recognizing his “very high to preeminent legal ability” as well as “very high general ethical standards”1
- University of Chicago, BA with general honors and special honors in history, 1984 University of Michigan, JD with honors, 1987. Campbell Moot Court Competition semi-finalist 1986; Campbell Moot Court Board 1987 Published Decision: King v. Ames, 179 F.3d 370, 5th Cir. 1999
- State Bar of Texas United States District Court for the Northern and Eastern District of Texas
- A former chair of the Sports and Entertainment Law of the Dallas Bar Association, Bruce is a member of the Intellectual Property Law and Sports and Entertainment Law Sections of the Dallas and Texas Bar Associations
- Active in local, state and national politics, Bruce was a delegate to the Democratic National Convention in 2004 and is a former President of the Dallas County Young Democrats. He also is a Volunteer Mediator with Dispute Mediation Services a Former Member of the Board of Directors of Artreach-Dallas and a volunteer with Texas Accountants and Lawyers for the Arts.
Mr. Rothstein’s practice includes all aspects of copyright, trademark and entertainment law. He regularly assists clients with the development, registration, maintenance and enforcement of copyrights, trademarks and service marks, as well as negotiating and drafting agreements regarding the licensing and transfer of these interests. In the course of his entertainment law practice, Mr. Rothstein negotiates and drafts a full range of agreements for clients in the fields of music, film, book publishing, the visual arts, and related endeavors.
Mr. Rothstein has handled disputes regarding intellectual property law and entertainment law from beginning to end, including pre-litigation settlement efforts, mediation and arbitration, litigation, trial and appellate review. At every level, Mr. Rothstein strives to represent his clients zealously, look for win-win solutions, and carefully consider the costs and likely benefits of possible courses of action. Representative engagements include:
- A large toy distributor in numerous copyright, trademark and trade dress cases as a plaintiff and a defendant, involving multi-million unit selling products, in federal courts in the Northern and Eastern District of Texas including obtaining the seizure of infringing goods by the U.S. Customs Office, entry of a preliminary injunction and other relief effectively stopping the sale of infringing goods.
- One of the nation’s largest headwear distributors in trademark and copyright litigation in federal courts in Mississippi, Georgia and Texas.
- A well known record producer in trial, post trial and appeal as a defendant on copyright claims in the United States District Court for the Northern District of Texas and the United States Court of Appeals for Fifth Circuit, resulting in the reduction by nearly 90% of a substantial jury award and fee claim.
- One of the world’s largest car rental companies in litigation with a major software developer arising from a failed effort to design a computerized reservation system.
- Representing both employers and employees for claims of copyright infringement and misappropriation of trade secrets at the termination of the employment relationship.
- Representing both employers and employees in contract negotiations and claims regarding their respective rights to intellectual property.
- A radio talk show personality in a Texas State court invasion of privacy claim resulting in the speedy issuance of an injunction and settlement.
- An independent record label in copyright litigation before the United States District Court for the Southern District of Texas.
- An internationally known recording artist in litigation with a record company over rights to a master recording in Texas State court.
A Tejano recording artist in declaratory judgment litigation in Texas State court, resulting in a judgment that the artist was no longer bound to the record company.
Mr. Rothstein has handled a variety of matters relating to the internet, including representing parties on both sides of domain name/”cybersquatting” cases (informal dispute resolution, arbitration before ICAAN and litigation), drafted contracts and handled disputes regarding web site design, and counseled clients about their rights and responsibilities under the Digital Millennium Copyright Act. He has been a speaker in continuing legal education programs regarding digital file sharing.
Mr. Rothstein has also represented a wide range of individuals and businesses in general commercial litigation in State and Federal courts in Texas and other jurisdictions including disputes arising from the purchase and sale of businesses, disputes regarding misappropriation of trade secrets, and the enforcement of confidentiality agreements and non-complete agreements, disputes between partners/owners in businesses, libel/slander and other contractual disputes.
Mr. Rothstein is a qualified mediator with 40 hours of mediation training and numerous mediations conducted. With a commitment to finding common ground, Mr. Rothstein is pleased to offer his services as a mediator in appropriate matters, especially with regards to intellectual property, entertainment, and other business issues.